Who Are We?
The Canal Winchester Performing Arts Boosters Organization is a non-profit fund-raising parent group. We currently support Plays, Musicals, Madrigals, Vocal Music, and Instrumental Music programs at Canal Winchester Local Schools.
The organization is vital to the funding and support of the performing arts in this school district. Feel free to contact us with questions of support and interest in the organization. See the Executive Board link for contact information.
Marching Band Uniform Information
WHAT YOU SHOULD HAVE:
1. SHAKO, HAT BOX (PLUME & GAUNTLETS-given when needed)
2. BAND SHIRT & BAND SHORTS
3. UNIFORM JACKET AND BIBBERS
4. UNIFORM SOCKS (EXTRA PAIR)
5. WHITE MARCHING SHOES
6. WHITE GLOVES (EXTRA PAIR)
7. BAND GARMENT BAG AND PLASTIC OR WOODEN HANGER
TOP TO BOTTOM:
GENERAL INFORMATION: You are not permitted to wear jewelry from the neck up or if it is visible on any other body part when in uniform. Please do not expect the directors or chaperones to look after your valuables. DO NOT BRING THEM OR WEAR THEM. Make-up should not be worn when in uniform
THE HAT IS CALLED A SHAKO:
1. Long hair is neatly arranged so that it fits up inside the shako.
2. The brim of the hat is level at the eyebrows.
3. The chinstrap should rest under the chin.
4. The plume is issued before a performance by a band parent, and should be returned immediately after. Plumes are easily damaged-DO NOT TOUCH!
5. Shakos are worn the correct direction at all times unless otherwise stated by the directors.
1. The neck collar should be hooked shut when worn.
2. If your coat fits properly, your sleeves should touch the wrist area of your gloves when your instrument is up and you should have room to breath.
3. You MUST wear a sleeved shirt under your jacket. SLEEVELESS TOPS, TANK TOPS, OR COLORFUL SHIRTS ARE NOT PERMITTED. Sleeveless shirts allow under arm stains to occur on the coat. Colorful shirts often fade when you sweat or get wet and can often be seen through the white portions of the uniform. No collars should be visible at the neckline.
1. The pants will fit high up on the chest. They should be adjusted so that the bottoms of the pants touch the tops of the shoes. They should not drag on the ground.
2. You should wear gym shorts, or under armor (if necessary), under the uniform pants. NO BLUE JEANS, KHAKIS OR JUST UNDERWEAR.
1. All sections wear white gloves except the percussion and auxiliary sections.
2. Flutes, clarinets and saxes may choose to cut the finger tops off the gloves for keys that require coverage. Check with your section leader BEFORE you make any cuts.
3. Gloves should always be clean before a performance.
SOCKS AND SHOES:
1. Students will be provided with white marching shoes as part of their uniform
2. Shoes must be cleaned before every performance. Magic Eraser is recommended. DO NOT use SoftScrub (this can cause the shoes to crack)
3. Students must provide themselves with plain white socks to wear with the uniform. NO footies or short socks. Calf high socks or crew socks are REQUIRED.
4. It is a good idea to keep an extra set of white socks handy.
You will be issued a band raincoat for use during bad weather.
Students are not permitted to store food or drink in the band garment bag. Only performance related items are permitted in the bag. These would include extra socks, extra gloves, & warm gloves. Store valve oil, cork grease, instrument care items, music lyre with instrument or in shoe box.
Care & Maintenance
UNIFORM (JACKET & PANTS), HAT, & SHOES MUST BE RETURNED TO THE UNIFORM ROOM FOLLOWING EACH PERFORMANCE.
HAT: Leave boxes open to air out following each performance.
UNIFORM JACKET & PANTS:
The uniform should always be hung up after every performance. When uniforms get wet, hang them to dry as soon as possible. You can brush dirt from your uniform with a garment brush. Do this after every performance. The uniform committee will clean the uniforms during the year. If your uniform is in need of minor repairs or mending bring that to their attention. Do not attempt to repair the uniform yourself. DO NOT WASH OR DRY CLEAN YOUR UNIFORM ON YOUR OWN.
SHOES/GLOVES/SOCKS: Be sure they (shoes/gloves) are clean before every performance. Socks should be washed after every performance. Shoe boxes are left open to air out.